Thursday, October 16, 2014

Kylmore/ Sky Drive

“That was a horrible night.” 
“For you too?  If I’d known I would have gotten up and we could have fixed it.” 

Not one, but TWO smoke detectors were randomly blaring their low battery bleats throughout the night and neither of us slept much at all. BUT… it is the last day of good weather (according to the forecast) and Sky Road Drive was high on both our lists so we decided to wend our way there via Kylemore Abbey.  Glad we went via Kylemore as in the end the Sky Road was a bit of a disappointment compared to other spectacular drives we have experienced.  

Kylemore is a 19th century Gothic Revival “home” that was converted into an Abbey in the 1920s. Formal Gardens, a church and a couple of rooms on the first floor are open to the public. It was hands down the most “touristed” site we have been to on our entire trip. Crawling with people. The wind was whipping and cold so we both had all our available layers on. Between my ridiculous 5 layers of shirts, coats and a scarf and R’s year round open sandal shoe penchant, we managed to garner quite a few stares. Happy to provide visual interest. 

After Kylemore we did make it to the famous “Sky Road” Drive. It was a grey and cold day with heavy winds, so the views were not so spectacular. (again I’m willing to own I may be jaded) My favorite find of the day is the road narrowing sign someone had converted to a chic dress for a thicker woman. In fact, that might be my favorite sign I’ve ever collected!

Afterwards a stop at Aldi’s for” accoutrements” and some amazing white chocolate, then home early. We needed an early night. 


All smoke detectors disarmed. 

















2 comments:

  1. That IS a sweet road sign. And the buildings are pretty stunning. After seeing SO much amazing scenic sights, I could see where one might get jaded. ( it's KKtrying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those buildings are what I want to see sooooo bad!

    ReplyDelete