Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Honor System.

Don’t trust R and C on the honor system.  Last day in Wales before flying out, 9 pounds to spend, (don’t want to be stuck with money we can’t use)  bags to pack, a house to clean, food to organize, gas the car, mail postcards etc, etc.  As many of you know R is a whirlwind at the house cleaning and food stuff and was ready to set off long before I had completely woken up. 

In the end we managed a last internet trip to the library and settled on trying to use our 9 pounds to try to get into a local home garden we had both found online called Dyffryn Fernant Gardens. I say try because the signs read 5 pounds per person. Although I’m pretty bad at math, even I knew that didn’t add up to our cash flow. 

A quick drive down the now commonplace harrowing and narrow hedge lined hairpin turn roads and we found the little spot buried in between cow fields.  An empty little shed was our entry point with an “honor system” box to put your entry fee in. There were even several one pound coins in a bowl should we need change. Yeah… we stiffed them a pound, and I won’t lie.. I don’t feel a bit guilty.  I should though, because the garden was glorious!  R was in heaven. 

Small, packed, and even just before October, quite stunning. It was clear there is an artist (or several) at work in this property. Hard for pictures to capture the wonderful views from so many angles, the riot of colors and textures that were mixed.  


We spent a good 40 minutes just sitting in a favorite “room” as curious robins flitted close by to check us out. A lovely and calming last afternoon. Then.. back to the cleaning and packing.















2 comments: