I actually forgot it was my birthday on Wednesday. I mean… I knew my birthday was coming.. but hadn’t worked out which day it was on. Whatever. 49th Birthday spent at Castlekirk Cottage in Ireland. Gale-like storm outside, resting and reading inside. It worked out well actually.
Thursday we did a drive around the coast of two peninsulas that are south of Clifden… going through Roundstone and Ballyconneelly. They were both quite barren and forlorn seeming places. For the first time I was not charmed by the rocks, because instead of seeming beautiful these seemed more like a war zone. In places I could have sworn I was seeing rubble from WWII. It was depressing and a bit overwhelming. We tried several times to find a spot we could stop and take pictures that would express just a little of this rocky rocky mess… but they just don’t seem to get the feeing across.
Needless to say, we finished these peninsulas a quick time since we found not a lot of things to stop and see and wander about. Ended up in Recess, a town with a nice pub with free wifi. R had some veggie soup while I posted and emailed. Then "home" to Castlekirk Cottage to figure out our last day.
(Miste, we got your request for a golf course on our last day... the pitch and putt sign was the best we could do. That was from a "private course" that was closed for the season. Sorry!)











That does look a bit stark...
ReplyDeleteKk